Are you looking to explore a career in theatre? Consider applying for an Everyman Theatre Apprenticeship.
2023/2024 Application Deadline: Monday, July 31st, 2023
The Education Apprentice functions as a critical member of the Education and Engagement Department. This position is designed to help an individual learn and deepen their skills in teaching artistry and arts administration. Working and learning part-time with Everyman Theatre, this candidate will explore skills necessary to the freelance teaching artist from time management to interpersonal communication. This solo Apprentice’s journey is crafted through the individualized attention to goals and outcomes in our profession.
This position is ideal for a focused and passionate young professional seeking a next-level experience in teaching theatre and arts administration.
The Education Apprenticeship is a forty-one week commitment from approximately the end of August through the beginning of June. During the forty-one weeks, the Apprentice will have a twelve week immersion period. This period features more hours per week in order to orient the Apprentice to the wide range of programming we offer. The balance of the Apprenticeship is a part-time commitment (approximately 20 hours per week) for twenty-nine weeks. The Apprenticeship includes employee benefits of 40 hours of paid vacation and designated sick leave.
Ideal candidates are energetic and proactive, open-to-growth, able to integrate and retain new information, have an affinity for how theatre connects to lifelong-learning, and share a passion for youth. This apprenticeship is a good fit for a recent graduate or career-changer who is eager to pursue a career in theatre education, arts administration, and/or theatre.
This position reports directly to the Director of Education and Community Engagement and works closely with the Education and Engagement Program Manager and Everyman Teaching Artists.
- Assists with the High School Matinee Program, working towards teaching independently.
- Assists with the In-School Residency Program serving K-8 grade, working towards teaching independently.
- Serves as an Everyman Theatre substitute Teaching Artist.
- Assists with On-Site classes serving students Pre-K-8 grade, working towards teaching independently.
- Works closely on new initiatives for high school populations, including liaising and creating supporting materials needed for events.
- Represents Everyman Education at fairs, festivals, and TNT: Theatre Night for Teens.
- Manages the Play Guide for each production.
- Preps materials for class experiences.
- Manages correspondences on designated projects for the Education Department.
- Contributes to the assessment and evaluation of our High School Matinee Program.
- Works on long-term research projects for the Education Department.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications + Skills
- Shared philosophical values inherent in Everyman Theatre’s mission.
- Prior experience working with children of any age is a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- A desire and ability to work collaboratively in support of Educational Programs.
- Demonstrates collaborative skills and accepts constructive criticism and implements effective problem-solving.
- Ability to interact with the diverse constituents that the Education Department serves including parents, students, donors, teachers, and key community partners.
- Receives a total of $14,310 for the Apprenticeship. This reflects $13.50 an hour for 41 weeks (33 part-time and 8 full-time).
- Receives 40 hours of paid vacation (approximately 10 days) and 20 hours of paid sick time (approximately 5 days).
- We are committed to removing transportation barriers to this experience. We provide access to pre-taxed discounted city parking, public transportation support, or access to Baltimore Zipcar membership.
- Ability to audit Adult Classes.
- Provided invaluable professional development through the Education and Engagement Department with personalized mentorship.
- Offered special ticket offers to area theatres, networking opportunities, and professional development opportunities within the Everyman Theatre staff.
- Dedicated workspace and computer.
- Flexible and responsive scheduling to provide room for other professional or artistic opportunities beyond commitment to Apprenticeship.
- Opportunities to supplement the part-time Apprentice through additional work with other departments at Everyman.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com.
• Deadline for Submission: Sunday, May 22
• Review Applications May 23 – May 25
• First Interviews: Week of May 30
• Second Interviews: Week of June 13
*This timeline is subject to change.
Everyman Theatre is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse environment and to the principles that promote inclusive practices. Individuals from populations underrepresented in the theatre field, are strongly encouraged to apply. Everyman Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
For additional opportunities, please visit our careers + opportunities page.